Monday, October 11, 2010

Dick Collins Firetrails 50 miler

I ran a 50 mile race on Saturday, and had a really rough time. I had a few tachycardias, but nothing which I couldnt abort quickly, and nothing sustained. However, I did feel heightened general fatigue, and cardiac instability.

 Things which went well:
 - I drank more electrolyte-based drinks and I think this delayed bonking
 - wetting a bandana and wearing it around my neck during the hottest parts of the day kept me cooler, and I think is partially responsible for the reduced number of heart events.

 Things which went poorly:
- I got a blister the size of a dollar pancake on the ball of my left foot around 33 miles in
 - I was undertrained. Not many long runs this year (pre or post surgery) except for races.

 For much of the race, I wasnt having fun, and I wondered if I should retire from ultrarunning. I met a doctor at the Ohlone 50K race who told me that I was 'on the leading edge' and 'pushing the envelop' as an ultra runner with afib. I didnt know if I should be proud to be more active than most patients, or if I was being foolish. But then I thought about how pretty the PCT 50 course is, and how if I just train a little bit harder, maybe I can do just the one more race...
Jean Pommier captures me surprised, 10.5 miles in


2 comments:

  1. Running in afib may overwork your heart. Can't they stop or fix your afib?

    A procedure is the usual first line of treatment for athletes. You might want to check out "Catheter Ablation May be Better Atrial Fibrillation Treatment than Drugs for Serious and Professional Athletes" at http://www.stopafib.org/newsitem.cfm/NEWSID/234 (also see part 2 of the video interview at http://www.stopafib.org/newsitem.cfm/NEWSID/242).

    Mellanie True Hills

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment and links Melanie.
    I have had two ablations and neither was successful. I have also tried flecainide and propafenone and both made my condition worse.
    We are playing wait and see right now.

    ReplyDelete